Kitchener-Waterloo

People on flight from Mexico to Waterloo region may have been exposed to measles, public health says

Region of Waterloo Public Health say people who were on a March 29 Flair Airlines flight from Mexico to Waterloo region, and people who were in the Waterloo region airport that same day, may have been exposed to measles after two people who had the virus were on that flight.

Flight was March 29 from Puerto Vallarta to Waterloo region

A graphic representation of measles.
This illustration provides a 3D graphical representation of a spherical-shaped, measles virus particle that is studded with glycoprotein tubercles. Region of Waterloo Public Health is warning people who were on a March 29 flight from Mexico to the Region of Waterloo International Airport may have been exposued to the virus. (Alissa Eckert/CDC)

Two people with measles were onboard a Flair Airlines flight from Mexico to Waterloo region on March 29 and now health officials say anyone on that flight or in the Waterloo region airport that day may have been exposed to the virus.

The two cases were people on Flair Airlines Flight F82431 from Puerto Vallarta to the Region of Waterloo International Airport.

As well, anyone who was in the airport's main terminal between 8:20 p.m. on March 29 and 1 a.m. on March 30 may have been exposed.

Region of Waterloo Public Health says anyone who may have been exposed should contact their health unit if they are:

  • Immunocompromised.
  • Pregnant.
  • Anyone born after 1970 who is unvaccinated or as received just one dose of the measles vaccine.

"Watch for symptoms of measles. These can appear up to 21 days after exposure but usually occur within seven to 12 days," Region of Waterloo Public Health said in a release Friday morning.

Symptoms include fever, cough, runny nose, white spots in the mouth, and red watery eyes that may be sensitive to light.

A few days after symptoms begin, a red rash usually develops that starts on the face and spreads down the body.  

Region of Waterloo Public Health has reported 14 cases of measles locally. Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health has reported four cases.

On Thursday, Ontario reported 89 new measles cases over the last week, bringing the province's case count to 661 since an outbreak began in the fall.