Halifax wine bar surrounded by scaffolding says building inspection is 'significant' step
Obladee Wine Bar says scaffolding is hurting business, but property owner hasn't made repairs

The crumbling facade of a downtown Halifax building is set to be inspected this weekend, giving hope to the owners of a wine bar who say scaffolding that has surrounded the property for nearly two years is driving their customers away.
The scaffolding was ordered as a safety measure by the municipality after a person was injured by falling debris in June 2023. But the owners of Obladee Wine Bar, which has occupied a corner of the building at Barrington and Sackville streets for nearly 15 years, said the property owner has yet to make repairs or take any action — until this weekend.
"The fact that we are getting some communication from the city, we're getting some action on behalf of the property owner, that's very significant," said Heather Rankin, who owns Obladee with her brother, Christian Rankin.
She credits the breakthrough with their decision to go public last month with their dilemma. At the time, Christian Rankin told CBC News the tangle of steel and wood that wraps around the building is an eyesore that makes it difficult for people to know they're open.
He said what was supposed to be temporary scaffolding has also prevented Obladee from opening its 20-seat patio for the last two summers.
"It's extremely urgent," Heather Rankin said this week. "We've been struggling for nearly two years. This should have happened 20 months ago, not now."
Mayor Andy Fillmore, who was elected last November, posted on social media earlier this week he wants to see the matter resolved so the wine bar does not lose another patio season. His post did not elaborate and he was unavailable for an interview with CBC.

The municipality confirmed the property owner has arranged for inspection work on the building. It's expected to happen Saturday and Sunday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. local time. Traffic delays in the Barrington and Sackville area are expected and sidewalks that are impacted will be closed.
In a previous statement to CBC, the municipality said it has issued repeated orders to the property owner since the passerby was injured in 2023.
One order resulted in a $4,000 fine that was paid by the property owner in September 2024. A fourth order was issued in February requesting an update on a structural engineer's report that was mandated.
Property group insolvent
The Caryi Group, which owns the building along with a number of other commercial and residential properties in Atlantic Canada, has fallen into financial trouble. The group's principal, Steven Caryi, died in 2023.
His family is now trying to sell the building and others he left with mortgage debts estimated around $47 million as of January, according to court documents.
His sister, Joanne Caryi, previously declined to comment on the insolvency proceedings now before the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia. She is identified as the executor of her brother's Canadian estate in court documents. She could not be reached for an interview this week.
Obladee will remain open this weekend and Rankin said they will be following up to make sure the inspection is followed by actual repairs.
"It's a step in the right direction, but there's still a lot of work to be done and it needs to happen quickly," she said.
Rankin and her brother are hoping the facade can be fixed so that the scaffolding can be taken down before the summer to allow for the patio to return to the Sackville Street side of the building.
The Halifax Regional Municipality has made it clear the scaffolding has to remain in place until repairs are done.