Montreal

Who's running to lead the Quebec Liberals

The Quebec Liberal Party's leadership race is officially underway, with five candidates declared so far. Here's a look at who could win the top job.

5 candidates so far in race to take over party

The Quebec Liberal Party leadership race has begun — too late, some say

3 months ago
Duration 1:57
Over the next five months, at least four candidates will make their case to party members why they should lead the Liberals into the next provincial election.

The Quebec Liberal Party's (PLQ) leadership race is underway, with five candidates in the running. 

The next leader will take over a party that faces significant challenges. While there has been a surge of support for the PLQ amid the ongoing trade war with the United States, it might not be enough to carry the party through to the next provincial election in 2026.

The Liberals currently hold just 19 of 125 seats in the National Assembly, with their support largely concentrated in Montreal and its surrounding areas. Candidates have until April 11 to enter the race.

Here's a breakdown of who is in contention to replace Marc Tanguay, who was named interim leader following the resignation of Dominique Anglade in 2022.

Karl Blackburn

A former politician and head of the Conseil du Patronat du Québec, an influential business lobby group, Karl Blackburn is the latest candidate to join in the race to head the Liberal party.

He touts over 30 years of experience in business and politics, including four years as a Liberal MNA in the riding of Roberval from 2003 to 2007. He was the head of the CPQ for almost five years, before resigning last week.

Ahead of his official campaign launch, Blackburn said in an open letter, that the province is on the wrong track and due for a new, more inclusive type of leadership.

He pointed to the Coalition Avenir Québec's $13.6-billion projected budget deficit and anti-immigration policies, that he says paint immigration as a threat, to make his point.

Blackburn had initially said in the fall of 2024 that he would not run for party leadership after a prostate cancer diagnosis, but now he says he has fully recovered.

A man wearing a suit stands at a podium.
Karl Blackburn joined the leadership race for the Quebec Liberal Party on March 31,2025. (Sylvain Roy Roussel/Radio-Canada)

Pablo Rodriguez

A veteran of federal politics, Pablo Rodriguez is widely considered the frontrunner. The 57-year-old has represented the Montreal riding of Honoré-Mercier as an MP since 2004 and has held several key roles in Justin Trudeau's government, including transport minister and Quebec political lieutenant.

Rodriguez stepped down from his federal cabinet role to join the leadership race last September but remains an independent MP until the next election. While his experience in Ottawa boosts his profile, he is also vulnerable to criticism for his association with the unpopular Trudeau government.

Born in Argentina, Rodriguez moved to Quebec at the age of eight and holds a degree in business administration. His political roots trace back to the Quebec Liberal Party's Youth Commission in the 1990s.

In kicking off his campaign, Rodriguez said he wants to improve the province's health-care system, schools and the level of French. 

WATCH | Pablo Rodriguez says he would modify and reverse parts of Bill 96

A coup for Pablo Rodriguez as the Quebec Liberal leadership race begins

3 months ago
Duration 4:41
The MNA for Marguerite-Bourgeoys, Frédéric Beauchemin, explains why he bowed out of the race and is backing Rodriguez, despite having said he and other federal Liberals spent "like drunken sailors."
scrum with reporters
Charles Milliard, 45, is the former president and CEO of the Fédération des chambres de commerce du Québec. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press)

Charles Milliard

Charles Milliard, 45, is the former president and CEO of the Fédération des chambres de commerce du Québec, a role he held for over four years before entering the race. A pharmacist by training, Milliard has also served as executive vice-president at Uniprix and worked in public affairs with the firm National.

Milliard's campaign focuses on moving the party away from divisive identity issues, such as secularism and language, which have been hallmarks of François Legault's government.

Instead, he plans to prioritize health care, education, and public finances. Milliard is also positioning himself as an advocate for regional development, seeking to broaden the party's appeal beyond urban areas. He said he wants to give the Liberals "a breath of fresh air." Regardless of the race's outcome, he intends to run in the Orford riding in the next provincial election.

scrum with reporters
Marc Bélanger is a 45-year-old tax lawyer. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press)

Marc Bélanger

Marc Bélanger, a 45-year-old lawyer specializing in international taxation, is the least known among the candidates. Originally from Matane, Bélanger divides his time between Outaouais and Montreal, where he founded his law firm less than two years ago.

Though he lacks elected experience, Bélanger has twice run for federal office as a Liberal candidate in eastern Quebec. His campaign emphasizes a long-term vision for the province, including a comprehensive natural resource development plan. Bélanger also hopes to reinvigorate Liberal activism across the province, uniting supporters in both urban and rural regions.

Mario Roy

Mario Roy is a a fourth-generation farmer from the Beauce Region, according to the PLQ's website. The 31-year-old father of two is completing a master's degree in agricultural economics at McGill University.

Roy first became involved with the PLQ's youth wing as a militant at age 16. More recently he has taken part in union activities and served as president of the union representing teaching assistants and invigilators at McGill University for four years. He also sits on two agricultural boards in the Beauce region.

Roy says he hopes to bring the regions back into the fold of the Liberal Party and put more emphasis on rural issues. He also wants to decrease Quebec's reliance on the United States as its main trading partner.

He says he wants to reframe Quebec's housing policies to prioritize home ownership for young people, as well as nationalize the housing network for seniors. 

coderre at podium
Denis Coderre, former federal MP and mayor of Montreal, formally announced he is running to be leader of the Quebec Liberal Party on Jan. 17, 2025 in Quebec City (Sylvain Roy Roussel/CBC)

Denis Coderre

Former Montreal mayor and federal cabinet minister Denis Coderre, 61, had previously announced he was throwing his hat in the ring.

Coderre's leadership bid, however, was rejected in February by the party's electoral committee. The committee gave no reason for the decision.

Coderre's campaign had been overshadowed by personal financial troubles, including approximately $400,000 in unpaid taxes.

In January, Coderre said he had reached an agreement with provincial and federal tax agencies to pay off the debt.

He said he wants to know if representatives of the Quebec government tried to harm his candidacy by making his financial affairs public, and said he has hired a lawyer and could file a lawsuit against Revenu Québec.

With less than two weeks remaining until the April deadline, the list of candidates is not expected to grow much longer. The winner will be announced on June 14.

With files from Radio-Canada and The Canadian Press